By-laws (Zoning)

What is Zoning?

Zoning controls the permitted uses in each areas of a municipality or community. This tool allows the area to develop in an orderly manner. Accordingly zoning determines:

  • Land use (ex: residential, commercial, industrial, etc…)
  • Building setbacks
  • Lot sizes
  • Height, size and appearance of buildings
  • Lot coverage and density
  • Parking standards
  • Signage standards and signs

What is the rezoning process?

1. You can meet with the Planner to discuss your project and he will help you gather all the information required to submit your rezoning request.

2. It is important to note that if your application is incomplete and if some information is missing the Municipal Council or the KRSC reserves the right to dismiss your rezoning application or to place it on hold. Your chances of success are greater if the application is complete and that all necessary elements are present.

3. Secondly you must complete the zoning by-law amendment application form and attach it with a letter addressed to the Municipal Council or the Minister in the case of an unincorporated area.

4. If the Municipal Council wishes to proceed with the rezoning, it will then ask the recommendation of the KRSC, the Commission will then prepare a written report and will make the necessary investigations on site and in the neighborhood where the rezoning will take place.

5. When the report is complete, the rezoning application is then presented to the KRSC Advisory Planning Committee. The KRSC will then give its recommendation to the Municipal Council.

6. Following the recommendation of the KRSC, the Municipal Council must then decide to proceed with the zoning by-law amendment or to end the process. It is important to note that the Municipal Council will make the final decision and that it may not reflect the recommendation of the KRSC.

7. If the Council decides to approve the zoning by-law amendment; the adoption process, public presentations, public announcements and registration of the by-law with SNB may take approximately 3 to 4 months. In some cases, an amendment to the municipal plan in addition to a zoning by-law amendment may be necessary, if this is the case the process may take an additional 2 months. During your meeting with the Planner, you will be notified of this extra step, if it applies to your project.

8. The rezoning process is a public process, transparency and access to information is therefore essential. Details of the project and the identity of the owner or the developers will be public knowledge and that information will be available during the process. Nearby residents may also decide to oppose a rezoning process and may submit their feedback to Council either in writing or during public meetings related to the rezoning under consideration.

9. A period of about 3 to 6 months is usually required for the rezoning process, in some cases it may be longer. Therefore it is important to submit your application in the fall season preceding your construction, if you want to build in the following spring, (ex: submit your application in August or September for a construction project in April or May of the following year).

Documents to prensent when submitting a rezoning request:

When submitting your rezoning request, a detailed site plan, drawn to scale, including the following is required:

  • area, lot dimensions, PID(s) and civic address (if specified);
  • the layout of the proposed building or buildings and accessory buildings;
  • drainage of surface water on the property (may be required in some cases);
  • an illustration of the building as seen fromt the street (elevation plan or drawing);
  • floor plans;
  • exterior signs if applicable;
  • the proposed exterior materials (may be required in some cases).

Concerning the drawing of buildings, these drawings do not have to constitute a final execution plan for construction purposes, however they must be drawn on an adequate scale by an Auto CAD software or other similar program to illustrate the concept of the project to the Council, the Planning Committee and to the residents. The format of the document must be electronic/digital for distribution, reproduction and presentation purposes (PDF or JPEG format).

The purpose of submitting this information is to create a transparent and professional process and will increase the potential success of the proposed project. In addition, when a file is complete, the possibility of encountering delays is less.

What is the zoning of my property?

  1. You may review the zoning maps in person at our Bouctouche or Richibucto offices.
  2. You may review the zoning maps on our website at
  3. You may request a zoning confirmation.

In order to receive a zoning confirmation letter, you must request it in writing with a signed letter addressed to Serge Boucher, Planner at the KRSC with the following information; your name or the name of the owner or the business, the property identification number (PID), the complete mailing address, your daytime phone number and your email. You can also fill out the Zoning Confirmation – Application Form and return it to us.  Fees of one hundred dollars (100$) may apply in certain regions of the KRSC. You can reach us to confirm if an applicable fee applies. These fees must be paid prior to the release of the zoning confirmation letter. Methods of payment are cash or by check. Checks must be made to the Kent Regional Service Commission.


Jean Y. Goguen, MCIP, RPP; Director / Planner

(506) 743-1490, email :

Serge Boucher, MCIP, RPP; Planner

(506) 523-1820, email :


Zoning Confirmation Application Form: Zoning Confirmation

Zoning By-Law Amendment Form: Zoning By-Law amendment